Explore the elements and techniques for painting sea and landscapes. Demonstrations will be given and practiced, combined into compositions. Homework is expected for critique the following week. Please refer to the supply list.
I use many colors, many brands. My palette is set up with my value system in mind. I boil my values down to three—light, middle, dark. I arrange them on my palette that way. These are the colors I use most of the time. If you have them, fine, if not, don’t worry you can mix your own, or use one of my old palettes.
The only color that’s a must is Grumbacher Academy Indigo. I can’t do a painting without it. I have recently discovered that American Journey Indigo is equally good.
o YELLOWS; Sour Lemon, Naples Yellow, Indian Yellow
o ORANGES; Peachy Keen, Cad Orange, or Halloween Orange
o REDS; Grumbacher Red., Cad. Red Light, Rose Madder, Alizarin Crimson
o BLUES; Periwinkle, Andrew’s Turquoise, Cerulean, Artic Ice, Cobalt, Ultramarine, Prussian Blue, Indigo GREENS; Skip’s Green, Sap Green, , Shadow Green
o PINK-PURPLES; Opera, Janet;s Violet Rose, Mineral Purple
o NEUTRALS; Coastly Fog, Quinacridone Gold, Burnt Siena, Raw Sienna, Coffe and Cream, Sepia
o WHITE GOUACHE
o Most of these are American Journey (Cheap Joe’s– Made by DeVinci) or Holbein
• I use a 1” Wash Brush ( Lowe Cornell 7750 Sky Wash– very good for washes), Rounds No, 4, 6, 8, Fan Brush No. 6, RIGGER No. 1 , 6 ( sometimes called a liner or script) , Flats 1/4” ,1/2 “
• PAPER : I prefer Arches Cold Press or Rough. Mostly 140#, sometimes 300#. I like to paint on blocks. Small pieces or backs of unresolved paintings for practice. Your favorite size if we do a class painting.
• YOUR FAVORITE WATERCOLORS
• YOUR FAVORITE BRUSHES
• PALETTE (I use a Martin Mijello Airtight Leak Proof 33 well watercolor pallete-available at Amazon and Dick Blick 15.98)
• WIDEMOUTH WATER CONTAINER
• KNEADED ERASER
• PAPER TOWELS
• PAPER SUPPORT
• FINE MIST SPRAY BOTTLE
• SEA SPONGE WITH FUZZY ENDS
• COTTON BALLS
QUESTIONS: 941-497-2744 OR [email protected]
PLACES WHERE I GET SUPPLIES
CheapJoes.com: American Journey paints Pebeo—Drawing Gum Arches Watercolor Paper –140# (only if single sheets and are on sale)
Jerrysartarama.com: Arches Water color Blocks (usually the best price, never buy locally) Martin Mijello Palette
DickBlick.com : mat board, Foam core
AmericanFrame.com: metal frames, Plexiglass
Babe’s Hardware: Plexiglass Publishing Program : Paint Artist Platinum 24